New details after South Korean tourist drowned at Shelly Beach during honeymoon

Estimated read time 3 min read


Heartbreaking new details have emerged after a newlywed who was on a dream honeymoon drowned at a popular Sydney beach.

The 32-year-old woman was pulled unresponsive from the water at Shelly Beach, in Manly, just before 1pm on Wednesday.

Her devastated new husband stayed by her side as bystanders performed CPR while they waited for emergency services to arrive.

It is understood that the couple married in South Korea three days before her death before travelling to Australia for their honeymoon.

It has now been revealed that a 13-year-old boy was the one who found the woman floating facedown and raised the alarm when she failed to respond, according to Daily Mail Australia.

The boy reportedly thought the woman was snorkelling but soon realised that something was very wrong.

“My friend’s son swam over and tapped her but she didn’t respond, then he lifted her arm and it just flopped back into the water,” a mother on the beach told the outlet.

“At that point he tried to get under the water to try to lift her up and the two men jumped into the sea to help him.

“They turned her over and she just flopped. One of the boys said he thought he saw blood and water in her face mask. They then dragged her out of the water.”

Bystanders tried to save the woman’s life by carrying out CPR while her distressed husband wailed in the background.

Another woman said that she took her four children away from the scene after realising the woman was dead.

She recalled how blood and foam were coming from her mouth, and speculated that the newlywed may have hit her head on some rocks while snorkelling.

NSW ambulance paramedics and the rescue helicopter critical care medical team treated the woman at the scene.

However, she died soon after despite paramedics performing CPR for up to 30 minutes.

The woman has not yet been formally identified.

The Toll NSW Ambulance Rescue Helicopter was also dispatched to the scene, landing on the beach but was not required.

In a statement, a NSW Police spokesman said the woman was unable to be saved despite the efforts of paramedics.

Footage taken from the scene shows crews treating the woman on the sand while people along the walking track running to Manly’s main beach.

Officers from Northern Beaches Police Area Command will prepare a report on behalf of the Coroner.

Read related topics:Sydney


Source link

You May Also Like

More From Author

+ There are no comments

Add yours